I was going to call this recipe a cranberry granola bar, but then I realized that there wasn’t any granola in it. So nature bar it is!
My husband and I were looking for a quick, portable snack to take with us on our trip a few weeks ago, and decided that a box of “granola” bars would be perfect. All of the ingredients in the bars were great. Lots of nuts, seeds, no fillers or refined sugars. They tasted pretty good as well. I was really impressed by how fresh they were. What I wasn’t impressed with was the price, so I decided to make my own nature bar recipe. When its this easy, there’s really no reason to buy anything prepackaged.
These Nature bars are filled with tons of nutrient dense nuts and seeds, and are sure to satisfy your hunger! Have one for breakfast, or as an afternoon snack.
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1/4 raw, hulled, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup hulled, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbs milled flax seed
- 1 cup brown crispy rice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat your oven to 350º F
- Place 1/2 cup almonds in your food processor. Pulse a couple times to break the almonds into smaller pieces.
- Add the peanuts and cashews to the food processor and pulse a few more times. (You are not looking to blend the nuts into flour. It is okay to have fairly large pieces, the honey and maple syrup will hold everything together.)
- Add the nuts and the rest of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and combine well.
- Pour the honey and maple syrup into a small sauce pan and heat on low to medium heat. When the mixture becomes a thinner, runnier consistency, pour it over the nuts and seeds and mix well.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper. For thinner bars, use a 9” x 13” backing dish. For thicker bars, use an 8” x 10” dish. I used a 9” x 13”.
- Press the sticky mixture into the baking dish and place in the oven for approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove the nature bars from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the nut bars into approximately 15 equal pieces.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletter!
Like this recipe? If so, please subscribe to TGIF’s free newsletter and get more great recipes and fitness tips delivered directly to your inbox!